Sunday, September 25, 2011

October is a happening month

Published in the Fauquier Times-Democrat, Weekend Edition on Sep. 23, 2011

Wednesday, my husband took the day off to drive me into Washington, D.C. to the recording studio of WAMU 88.5 FM, http://www.wamu.org/. This station plays my favorite source of news from NPR, National Public Radio http://www.npr.org/.


I realize it’s risky to tell you what I listen to. Someone on Facebook commented that NPR stands for “Never Praise Republicans” so they prefer not to listen. For me, it’s not about the politics; it’s a window on the world with in-depth coverage. Watching the news on television, sometimes you have to wonder what got more coverage: the anchorwoman’s hair, face, and wardrobe, or the news? With radio, early in the morning, right in your kitchen or in your car, you can travel to a village halfway across the world. You can hear the voices of the locals and learn of their triumphs and travails. Granted, you have no pictures, but that’s where the reporter’s words and your mind collaborate together.


I read aloud my commentary on Halloween. It was brief. You know I’m not, by nature, brief. But they have an editor who can slash better than Freddy Krueger and Congress put together. So my humorous attempts have been limited to two-and-a-half minutes, which is a quick 150 seconds. For those seconds, my husband took a whole day off. Each minute that I’ll be on the air, he devoted an hour of driving time.


Plus, with his time management techniques, we got there with about an hour and a half to spare. It’s a good thing he accompanied me, because we don’t view time management in the same way. For me, that amount of free time could have equaled putting dinner into the slow cooker and dashing about the house to change the bed sheets, seconds before leaving in panic and disarray. Weirdly, the urge for me to do those things when there is no deadline is not as great. For him, it’s all a matter of setting priorities.


The night before, as we were finishing up with dinner and the disarray of dishes, and homework papers, my husband very coolly set up a big microphone, chair, and headset connected to the speakers in the living room for me to do a few practice runs. It was like a scene out of “The King’s Speech.” Once again, you might be horrified, but we thought it was such an exceptional movie, that all of our kids have seen it. We just had the little discussion about what words are not considered appropriate first.


In reading it aloud, I was initially slow, deliberate, and hesitant and then, as I sensed the time crunch, rushed through the delivery. (I think this is how I operate in life in general.)


“No, Mom. That doesn’t even sound like you,” my thirteen-year-old son objected. My husband suggested that our son, a natural orator, have a go at the read-through. (He is the one who used to continue his soliloquies, even when left alone in the bathroom during potty training.) I had to add that little tidbit in, just in case he’s getting too big for his boots. As Niles delivered the script, his hands developed a life of their own. They automatically twirled, outstretched, and performed all manner of gesticulations while his eyebrows danced up and down on his forehead. You could see his suppressed smile as he delivered my tongue-in-cheek words. Ordinarily, it can be a little annoying to be in the same room with someone who is obviously more gifted or talented (are they the same thing?) than you are – especially if they are younger. But not now. You cannot feel anything but pride when you are outshined by any child, and more so when it is your own. Can there be any joy greater than this?


I’ll let you know when the commentary is supposed to air and how you can hear it if you and your radio refuse to travel to WAMU, 88.5 FM. I only wish you could have heard Niles deliver it. That kid is a natural.


Two other quick notes: if you don’t have plans for next weekend, you do now. Learning Tree Farms in Delaplane is hosting its Annual Picnic on Sunday, October 2nd from 11 am until 4 pm. Everything is absolutely free: food (from 12:30 – 2:30), hayrides, kite flying, fishing, reenactments from the Civil War, artillery range, face-painting, a hay bale maze, and live music. We went last year and got to meet owner Mary Collins as she handed out t-shirts (also free). I hope to meet her other half, David Collins, this year. I can’t think of a better way to bring in the fall. Visit their website, http://www.learningtreefarms.com/ or call 540-364-0484 for more information.


Also, I’ll be speaking at the Forum for Women at Lord Fairfax Community College on Saturday, October 8th. It’s hosted by Fauquier Women. Call Marsha Melkonian at 540-270-5434, or visit their website at http://www.fauquierwomen.org/. The event runs from 8:30 am until 2:30 pm, and there will be a vendor fair concurrent with the seminars. Pre-registration is $10 including breakfast and a boxed lunch. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE WAMU! I'm excited for you. Can't wait to hear you on the radio.

    ReplyDelete