Sunday, January 22, 2012

How indecision and eggplant conspired against me


Published in The Fauquier Times-Democrat, Weekend Edition on Jan. 20, 2012


My second daughter, who has been vegetarian for the past few years, is very fond of the spicy eggplant dish at a Thai restaurant near her campus. Sorry. She’s at UVA, so I’m not allowed to say “campus.” It’s called “The Grounds.” I have joked that her dorm room, as labeled on the GPS, should be renamed “Spicy Eggplant.”


I had just dropped her off from Fall Break and had a busy day planned: I was backlogged on homework, and had a meeting to attend later that evening.


We unloaded her things, and the clock and our stomachs announced lunchtime. The dining hall was open. She could have her lunch there, and I would head back on the ninety-minute drive back to Warrenton. The dining halls there have a few, well-rehearsed and often repeated, options for vegetarians. (Just like home, actually!)


I hesitated to abandon her to a solo lunch. Sensing my weakness, she immediately suggested we split a dish of spicy eggplant. With an extra bowl of rice, there would be plenty and it would cost no more than fast food.


I contemplated the eggplant. Should I spend extra time in Charlottesville and another ten dollars when neither was in the plan?


Indecision – it has been a lifelong struggle. Well, that and procrastination would be my two biggest struggles. And disorganization. Don’t forget that one. Don’t ask me to choose the one that is my flagrant flaw, because indecision will get in the way.


My husband is the opposite: He can make up his mind in two seconds, and then he swiftly falls into action to “execute the plan.” I waffle. I consider the options. What if this and what if that? I spend so much time trying to make a decision that there is little time left to carry it out. At that point, I feel more like executing myself than the plan. And then I’m still not sure I might have chosen the right path.


If I had been Roberta Frost, I might have made this into a lovely poem: “The Eggplant Not Eaten.” But alas, there I stood, unable to make a quick decision and say with enthusiasm, “What a great idea! Sure, let’s go get lunch, and then I’ll be on my way.” Nor could I make a clean and guiltless get-away, giving a quick hug and driving off. Whichever I did, I would be full of self-doubt. At least that comes easily to me.


She would be eating dining hall food all semester, could it be so awful that she couldn’t go ahead and have it for lunch today too? I had granola bars to crunch on the way home. This involved no extra time or expense.


On the other hand, she would be eating dining hall food all semester anyway. What was the harm in the spicy eggplant today? Wasn’t this yet another opportunity to “create a memory”? What sort of memory would I create by rushing off? “Mom is a cheapskate. Mom is too busy with this class and her meetings.” And didn’t the granola bars have enough preservatives that they could keep for this time next year, if needed?


I looked over at her hopeful eyes. Unfortunately, all of my children have these eyes that can make you do things against your better judgment. No matter what I did, I knew I would be making the wrong choice.


We drove to the nearby shopping area. I don’t know what it is about traveling to a college campus or college “grounds,” but they always seem to be under construction. I maneuvered into the packed parking lot. Cars darted into parking spaces that I was sure I had noticed first.


Driving under the influence of the clock can bring out the evil in most drivers. Sometimes it can also bring out epithets and oaths, as well as impatient hand gestures. For me, it just brought out that familiar feeling of self-doubt. If I were doing the “right thing,” wouldn’t I have been able to glide into a spot? We snaked our way through the busy lot for the second time. Should I just forget this idea and turn back? Or would that show my inability to persevere – another flaw?


I finally found the answer: a parallel parking spot, right in front of the restaurant!


You might think a short woman driving a Suburban would hesitate to parallel park this behemoth. Not me, but only when there are two contiguous spots, so I can just drive in. There was only one spot bounded by compact cars. Squeezing into this parking space should be no more difficult than squeezing into the jeans that used to fit. The only difference between getting these two bodies into their respective restricted spaces is that jeans are somewhat flexible. Parking spaces are not. Also, there is a 1.5-ton difference in our bodies.


It would probably take me fifteen vehicular manipulations. I could barely see the car behind me, as it was low to the ground and very close. Much too close. Stay tuned for the rest of this eggplant excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment