Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bitten (rather painfully) by the travel bug

Published in The Fauquier Times-Democrat, Weekend Edition on Friday, 7/20/2012

Surely you’ve heard the saying, “Be careful what you wish for, because it might come true.” Sometimes we get what we want, but not exactly in the way we had envisioned.


Immediately, the “The Monkey’s Paw,” a 1902 short story by English writer W.W. Jacobs comes to mind. In this tale, an elderly couple is left with the titular talisman (from India, of course) that can grant three wishes to its owner. These folks are simple and humble people, so all they wish for is enough to pay off the last mortgage payments on their house. (I know. Nowadays, that could be a LOT of money.) While their wish is granted, it is done in a horrific and chilling manner.


I thought I had learned to stop wishing for things. I once had wondered why my life wasn’t exciting. Then, my husband had a massive heart attack. That generated plenty of “excitement” and anxiety and general upheaval. I thank God he is better. And thank you, again, for praying with me then.


Nowadays, if I want excitement, I go to the grocery store and try to use a coupon. If I want a lot of excitement, I try to use one that has expired. (Those are usually the only ones I can find, anyway.)


Here’s another exciting thing I do. Sometimes, I drive to the post office to try to mail off a massive package at 4:55 pm. To enhance the excitement level, I make sure the package is going abroad (namely, India) so that it also requires a customs declaration form. I could tweak my timing and get there at 4:59, because Sharon, who works the window, hasn’t attempted to close that corrugated metal window on my hands. Yet.


So, I thought I had learned my lesson, but I guess some of us would rather be teachers than students. It’s more fun doling out lessons than having to learn them. (Incidentally, I won’t be writing this column weekly beginning next month so I can focus on teaching math at Warrenton Middle School. Thank you, Katrina of my local library, for asking and for telling me that you’ll miss reading me every week.) Apparently, I needed a refresher on the lesson on wanting things.


Did I wish to travel this summer? Did I yearn for the excitement that comes with venturing to new places? Did I wish this aloud, and did someone hear me? Perhaps. My family and I will have spent four of the five Sundays this July driving down to Lynchburg and back. Before this month, I had never gone to Lynchburg. When this month ends, I may never want to go back.


My eldest son is attending the Governor’s School for Math, Science, and Technology that is held for four weeks in July on the campus of Lynchburg College. Courtesy of the storms that struck the Mid-Atlantic a couple of weeks ago, he is getting the truncated version: three weeks instead of four. The problem is, that wasn’t quite clear to us on the morning of July 1st, when the program was to have begun.


I should say thank you to Fauquier County Public Schools and the Commonwealth of Virginia and those who make it possible for rising juniors and seniors who are gifted in a particular field to be able to attend this free of charge. That’s right – all four weeks of room, board, and classes cost the parents and students nada. As in nada-thing. As you might expect, it’s competitive, and students may only attend once. College campuses throughout Virginia host these summer residential governor’s schools for languages, performing and visual arts, and various disciplines. My elder two daughters also attended: one at Virginia Commonwealth University and the other at Virginia Tech. To learn more, email Raye Rector, Supervisor of Advanced Programs and Fine Arts at the FCPS office.  rrector@fcps1.org.


You may recall that the first round of storms that lashed our region left many of us powerless, as well as without electricity. Ours was out from Friday night until Saturday evening. The first and second order of business that Saturday were to get ice from Walmart, followed by having the dog boarded so we could get our eldest son delivered and moved into his dorm room at lovely little Lynchburg College the next day.


Incidentally, if you need an in-home pet-sitter, call Karyn Brown of KB’s Pet-Sitting at 540-272-3287. She is a great gal who just started her licensed and insured business, and she has twenty years of experience. Karyn has a gentle and loving spirit that is perfect for working with animals and children. If you have either of these in your home, you will know that the lines between the two meld: Your children can often behave like animals, and your pets become like children, except with less attitude and fewer fashion corrections.


This is the one glorious weekend in July that we are not going to Lynchburg. We’ll be in Baltimore, instead, moving my eldest daughter out of her apartment. Anyone else have the urge to travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment